Thursday, September 10, 2026

Privacy, Online & Off

 Over the past few decades, technology has transformed the way information about people is collected, stored, and used. After watching these videos, I came away with a much greater awareness of how modern surveillance and data collection affect everyday life, often in ways most people do not realize.

One of the most striking examples was the use of automatic license plate readers. These systems are mounted on roads and police vehicles and can capture images of passing cars while converting license plate numbers into searchable data. What surprised me was not just the ability to track vehicles, but the amount of information that can be stored for long periods of time.

The videos explained how law enforcement agencies can collect photographs, locations, dates, and times connected to people's daily movements, even when those individuals have done nothing wrong. I found it concerning that large amounts of this information can be combined into massive databases containing records of where Americans have traveled.

The discussion expanded beyond license plate readers to other forms of tracking. Cell tower data, mobile phone monitoring, and technologies such as Stingray devices show how many different tools exist to locate and identify people. One point that stood out to me was that surveillance technology can be operating all around us even when we cannot see it.

The videos also examined privacy from a different angle by focusing on companies such as Facebook. I learned about concepts such as data mining, digital dossiers, behavioral marketing, and the third-party doctrine. The idea that people can lose control of their information once they voluntarily share it with a platform was an important takeaway for me.

Another fascinating topic was the idea of "electronic tattoos." The speaker argued that our online activity, social media accounts, location data, photographs, and purchasing habits create lasting digital records that reveal who we are. In many ways, these digital traces can follow us much longer than we expect.

The biggest lesson I learned is that privacy is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain in a world driven by technology and data collection. Both governments and private companies now have access to powerful tools that can build detailed pictures of people's lives.

After watching these videos, I am much more aware of the information I share and the long-term consequences that can come from creating a permanent digital footprint.

_________________________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: This post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the history of the Supreme Court. In addition to facts that I learned, I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation. I then asked Copilot to shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and captions. 
_________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Age of AI: The Benefits and Risks of a Changing World

Artificial intelligence is one of those technologies that can feel both exciting and intimidating at the same time. Before watching  In the ...